2008-04-26

Lemon pie with a pine nut crust

Ooh la lemon!


This pie is delicious with lots of zing. And maybe even a little bit of zang! :) So I formulated the recipe as I went along. If you are timid of foods that are green, then you'll be missing out indeed. Pictures below :)

»Why is it green?
Avocado (noun): a pear-shaped fruit with a rough leathery skin, smooth oily edible flesh, and a large stone.
A large stone? Ha, I never knew that was a term sometimes used for a hard seed in cherry, plum, peach and some other fruits (apparently avocado).

Enough of that, let's get to the good part. 

The recipe!

»Crust:
› 1/2 cup Pine Nuts
› 1/4 cup Cashews
› 1 tbsp Coconut Oil
› 1/2 tbsp Raw Honey

»Filling:
› 1 1/2 Avocado 
› 1/4 tsp Lemon Peel
› 1 Large Lemon (or 2 small lemons)
› 1 1/2 tbsp Raw Honey

Okay, so I know that "1/2 tablespoon" is kind of a weird measurement. But that's how I measured the honey. The honey that I use is Raw Honey by Honey Gardens. It is the only honey that we'll use. I know the owner. It is actually the only honey that my husband is able to eat. He would eat other honey (that has been heated and processed) and his throat would get itchy and irritated. 

Also, please note that you can adjust the recipes to suit your individual preferences, for example less lemon, or more sweetener etc. I made the recipe on a whim, so you may want to double the crust recipe to make a thicker crust.



-heather



No comments: